Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cinderella Man

While on vacation, my wife and daughter wanted to see some movie about travelling pants (my 'y' chromosome is blocking my full recall of the flick's title, doncha know). My son and I debated about the list of things we would rather do than view this particular movie....jogging in barbed wire boxers made the list.

So. At the particular multiplex wherein we so waffled, "Cinderella Man" was showing. I didn't have a huge desire to see the movie (despite good reviews), and Russell Crowe is certainly a jerk. But the movie promised scenes of guys punching other guys, and in comparison to the estrogen-fest my girls chose, we decided to see it.

At the very least, we'd be able to indulge in the requisite buttery corn snack.

Turns out that "Cinderella Man" is a terrific movie. Jerk he may be, but Russell can act. The movie itself is a pretty sentimental morality tale centered on a cardboardly heroic figure. In terms of character arc or dramatic flow or even passable dialoge, Russel Crowe received no favors from the script writer.

By the way, do all protagonists have to be unrelentingly good? Whatever happened to the flawed and tragic hero?

Anyway, despite the gooey and flawed script, Crowe's performance was (almost) oscar-worthy. He made an uninteresting guy (albeit one with an unusually interesting story) into a character worth spending time with....even one (dare I say it) that could serve as a viable role model.

Being older than dirt, I've seen roughly 9,000 boxing movies....yet this one made me almost cheer out loud. Ron Howard may plumb the depths of sentimentality, but recognizing that doesn't mean I can't fall for it anyway, when the performance and directing are good enough.

"Cinderella Man" is good enough.