Monday, September 19, 2005

Reality TV



Explain 'Reality TV' to me.

Now, I'm not talking about the whole issue of how unreal reality television is (although the concept of a carefully scripted reality show is pretty oxymoronish)...nor am I talking about the passion with which many viewers identify with the 'contestants'.

After all, it's a fine line, in many cases, between reality shows and game shows....so I do understand the vicarious thrill that's possible when a player wins. Doesn't do much for me, but at least I understand how that could have some appeal.

What confounds me is the ubiquitous and selfish meanness rampant in (most of) these shows. The contestants make no secret of their complete obsession with self (in fact, the shows themselves are set up to reward self-obsession). Moreover, the contestants (often) indulge in taunting and braggadocio not unlike the ugliest WWF or NBA player.

But as viewers, do we -- are we supposed to -- identify with them? Are we supposed to care about and cheer for any of a group of self-promoting, unrepentantly greedy people?

And if we do, what does that make us?