Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Star Wars III (I)

Geez.Stop, already.

You hooked us with "Star Wars"...and then really haven't told a good story since then.

The problems with this script (and indeed, all the Star Wars scripts) is epitomized in the scene in which Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. He sees the emperor (or governor (or some such needlessly titled bad guy))) in a battle with one of his fellow Jedi Knights.

"No!" he screams, in disbelief. "I can't believe it! You've been evil all along! I can't stand evil, and I'll never accept you!"

"Come to the dark side, young skywalker" says the (governor?).

"All righty," says Anakin. "Want I should kill all the little children back home, too?"

I may have paraphrased the scene, but not by that much.

Please. stop. making. these. films.